Small but growing press with global reach, specialising in contemporary philosophy and fiction, seeks a full-time editor
Working in a small team in the south west of the UK and liaising with our partner publisher in New York, key responsibilities will include:
• Overseeing editorial and production process from manuscript to publication, coordinating with authors, distributor, and printer.
• Liaising with authors and funding bodies both in the UK and in Europe.
• Organising and hosting book launches and other events both virtual and actual.
• Reading and assessing submitted manuscripts.
• Developing editorial strategy for our different imprints, maintaining strong subject knowledge and awareness of new developments in the field.
Since we are a small company, the successful candidate will also be expected to contribute in other areas of the business including:
• Authoring and proofing marketing copy for our titles.
• Organising books for review and dealing with editorial queries.
• Updating the company website.
• Preparing promotional social media and e-mailouts.
The candidate we are looking for will:
• Be educated to Masters level or higher in a related subject.
• Have previous experience in proofreading and editing.
• Have a good eye for detail and an ability to see long-term projects through from beginning to end.
• Be able to provide samples of previous work showing familiarity with the field of recent contemporary philosophy (including but not limited to: poststructuralism, speculative realism, accelerationism, new materialism, OOP) and its relation to other cultural fields.
• Fluency in French, both spoken and written, would be a great advantage.
• Experience in organising speaker events, lectures, or seminars would be an advantage.
• Experience with Adobe products including InDesign, Photoshop, and with the WordPress platform, would be an advantage.
Remote working may be possible initially but we would expect the successful candidate to relocate to the south west of the UK, and to be in place on the ground to organise physical events in the UK when this becomes possible again.
This is a a varied and demanding role suitable for a candidate who is passionate about the subject area and is committed to a career in publishing.
We are offering a salary of 24k-26k based on experience.
To apply please send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com.
Start date: September 2021
Deadline: Monday 8 March